My name is Jeanetta, but most of my close friends and family call me Jenn or Jenny. I am 30 years old and was born and raised in Missouri. I graduated from my local public school in 2003. During my senior year of high school I met my husband, aka “hubsterdude”. We became friends but didn’t start dating until the summer after I graduated. We dated for about 3 months and just knew we’d be spending the rest of our lives together. It took us another two years before we finally (sort of) eloped in Hawaii, and here we are 10 years later, still living our happily ever after!
The hubsterdude, as well as his 9 brothers and sisters, was homeschooled for most of his childhood. It wasn’t until I met him that I knew anything at all about homeschooling. I remembered how incredibly smart and well behaved his younger siblings were and I knew right then and there that I was going to homeschool someday too. We have an amazing relationship because we know how to communicate with each other. We’ve NEVER had a knock-down-drag-out-screaming-match kind of fight. We have our disagreements, but never anything serious. I love how we just fit perfectly for one another. It’s like we’re always on the same page on everything! He truly is my rock and I don’t know how I’d make it each day without this man!
Together we have three beautiful girls: Moe (8), KK (7), and Boo Butt (4). These girls are my absolute world and the reason I get out of bed every single day! We have homeschooled since Moe began Kindergarten [technically longer if we want to count preschool ages] and have loved seeing how our children have grown into their own personalities. These girls are the most social kids I know – they will talk to anyone, at anytime, about anything! They’ve never disliked anyone they’ve ever met and are the most honest and loving children I’ve seriously ever met. I know I’m biased because they’re my own children, but I’ve heard these same compliments from a lot of outsiders over the years, so that tells me that I’m doing something right [because Lord knows, I’m FAR from perfect so I will definitely take this victory and celebrate it as much as I can!].
Even though we absolutely LOVE homeschooling, it’s definitely not been an easy ride for us. You see, I suffer from an extreme anxiety disorder, and I can keep it under control for the most part, but sometimes I just have “those days” [if we’re being honest here, there’s also “those weeks” or “those months” too] where I’ll find myself so tense I’m holding my breath while watching Property Brothers on HGTV. Ha! They cause me to suffer from horrible migraines as well. That makes homeschooling extremely difficult some days, so trying to keep myself involved and composed is a chore, and on those days the greatest accomplishment I have is simply getting out of bed. I’m happy to say that with every year it gets easier and easier as I figure out what works for us and what doesn’t.
Some More Fun Facts About Jenn:
- I consider myself a “homeschool misfit” when it comes to homeschooling. I’m religious, but I don’t feel like my curriculum needs to teach that “4+4=God”. Some people do, and that’s totally okay! It’s just not for me. I’m also not against those who are athiest. I believe in teaching my children both points of view so that someday they can make fully educated decisions for themselves based on their own beliefs. My own religious views are pretty unique and because of that, I don’t fit into any one specific religion.
- I’m a night owl. I absolutely refuse to wake up before 8 am unless we’re doing something fun that will be totally worth it. My children are night owls too, and I love it because it works for us! This is yet another reason why I homeschool. I can’t imagine us having to wake up and be anywhere by 8am.
- I absolutely can’t stand when people are fake. There are way too many “pinterest moms” out there and not enough moms who are keeping it real. I have no issues with “pinterest moms”. In fact, I think they’re rocking it! But, lets be real here – they’re a rare breed. I promise you that my blog is going to keep it real. Maybe it’ll just show me that I really can’t keep it together like I think I can, or maybe it will relate to a LOT of you. I guess we’ll find out?
- I’m not perfect. In fact, I’m so far from perfect it’s not even funny. I don’t eat healthy, I sometimes use bad language, I watch plenty of non-christian TV and movies, and am very outspoken and over opinionated. And you know what, I’m okay with that! I’m me, I love myself for who I am, and I don’t hide who I am from anyone.
- I have absolutely zero tolerance for disrespect. I’m completely okay with others having differing opinions and as long as they express those opinions in a respectful manner, they can be as opinionated as they want, but the moment someone gets disrespectful it strikes a nerve and I will not put up with it. I believe in standing up for myself at all times, and I do not appreciate being told what I “should” or “shouldn’t” be doing. When I feel like I’m being bullied or disrespected in anyway, the claws come out! Bullies are no fun! 🙂
- I am what you would call a “mom-preneur”. In addition to being a homeschooling mom and housewife, I also do photography and run an etsy store where I sell my own hand stamped metal jewelry. Oh yeah, and there’s this blog too so, I’ve got my hands full on a regular basis!
- I’m a total netflix junkie. Every night at the end of the day I have to have my TV and junk food time! I do not drink so that’s version of a “glass of wine” at the end of the day to unwind.
- I’m one of those people who loves to learn about everything. In fact, I never graduated from college because it took me forever to decide on a major! I’ve taken classes in photography (mostly), graphic design, journalism, foreign language, art, and so on. Someday I’ll go back and finish a degree when my kids are grown (probably in photography).
- I’m a strict mom. I’m not afraid to raise my voice at my children when it needs to be done, and I’m certainly not one of those moms who thinks a simple time-out with a “calm down jar” is going to discipline. I strongly believe that my strict parenting style paired with homeschooling is why I have such amazing kids. My kids are respectful, outgoing, HAPPY, and know right from wrong. I believe that people these days are letting their kids get away with too much nonsense, and in return our future is going to be full of entitled, spoiled, non-disciplined little boogers. I’m doing my part to make sure my children are not contributing to that nonsense!
- I love to travel and I love concerts. So you can imagine how happy I am when I get to travel for concerts! I don’t always get to, but if there’s ever anything I can do for myself to unwind from life and just get away from it all – I’ll get together with some of my very best friends and together we’ll set off on a journey to follow our favorite band around the country! I make it a point to do this at least once a year. There’s no better therapy than dancing like a fool to the music of your favorite band playing live in a new city you’re visiting for the first time!
Latest posts by Jenn Roberts (see all)
- The Homeschool Nook Link Up Party #68 - March 27, 2017
- Family Friday Link-Up Party #18 - March 24, 2017
- How to Study Native Americans for Homeschool History - March 24, 2017