Finding a good science curriculum has always been a struggle. You see, I personally believe in creation science, but I also think it’s important for my kids to know what others believe and why they believe it as well.
That being said, you can imagine how real the science struggle was. It’s such a division, so to get a good balance it seemed like I was going to have to buy two or more different curriculum options and piece it together just to get the perfect fit.
Finding the Perfect Science Curriculum
Last winter I went to my first ever homeschool convention with one main goal – find the perfect Science curriculum. I know, that’s a pretty heavy goal, but I was determined to find something. On the first day the hubsterdude and I went through 3 floors of vendors and found ourselves still empty handed. I felt defeated and quite frankly – scared. I don’t have a ton of time to piece together a curriculum these days and I wasn’t sure how we were going to get through the year’s science lessons. On our way out the door I found a booth that I had somehow missed before, Dr. Jay Wile’s Booth.
I walked right up to the booth and (while probably looking and sounding like a crazy person) asked Dr. Wile the following question:
“I’m trying to find the perfect balance of creation science and evolution science. Is this curriculum going to work for me?”
Basically Dr. Wile explained to me that when it comes to creation vs evolution based science, you can’t have one without the other. That had me SOLD. In fact, my husband even said “sold” before we even opened the book. We were that excited about what Dr. Wile had to say! His line of thinking fell right in place with ours, and we were so excited to finally feel like we had an ally in the great science division! I wanted to share what his thoughts are more so you could understand how he teaches, but I couldn’t put it into words the right way, so I asked Dr. Wile to give me a quote I could add here to my post. This is what he sent:
Isn’t that awesome? It falls in line so perfectly with my own belief system, so it makes me happy to read that. I’m happy I’m able to share that with all of you as well!
So what do I love the most about this book?
We started using “Science in the Beginning” in August, and I have literally zero complains about this curriculum. I love the way its laid out, what it teaches, and how he teaches it.
My favorite things about this book.
- There is a fun, simple, and effective experiment to use with every single lesson, and the supplies are generally household items you already have on hand. So the kids are actually seeing what the lesson is about and not just reading about it or looking at pictures of it.
- There are different levels of questions at the end of each lesson, so you can use the same book for different grade levels at the same time.
- It’s teaching my kids science that has some substance to it in a way they understand even at a young age.
- It’s very affordable
- Optional test booklet you can copy so you can see how much your kids are retaining (1 test for every 6 or so lessons)
- Divided up by the 7 days of Creation so you get a good balance in material covered once you finish a book
Win Science in the Beginning by Dr. Jay L. Wile
I love this book so much that I wanted to share it with all of my friends. I reached out to Dr. Wile and asked him if he’d like to help me host a giveaway so I could share the awesome with you, and he agreed! That being said, one of you lucky readers will be getting a free copy of “Science in the Beginning”. Enter your email address below to subscribe to my email list and be entered to win, plus earn extra ways to win as well! The giveaway ends February 2 so check back daily for additional entries. Good luck and thank you for entering! Also, a big shout out and thank you to Berean Builders and Dr.Wile for offering this awesome giveaway!
Latest posts by Jenn Roberts (see all)
- Peek into my Journal Volume 1 Part 1 with FREE Printable Journal Cards - September 20, 2017
- The Homeschool Nook Link Up Party #93 - September 18, 2017
- How to Make Fun Book Reports with a Video Presentation: mysimpleshow Review - September 11, 2017